Monday, October 7, 2013

Why Tough Teachers Get Good Results (Blog #13)


Joanne Lipman believes that the key to teaching is to be tough and strict.  Society and the US as a whole have strayed away from many things that Joanne wants to bring back.  She believes in “strict discipline and unyielding demands.”  She knows that memorization and lecturing are looked down upon, but believes that other countries are doing better in education because they still practice these teaching methods.  Constructive criticism and feedback should be given, and often.  She believes that “kids who understand that failure is a necessary aspect of learning actually perform better.”  Another big point that Joanne makes is that teachers who were optimistic have greater academic gain with their students.  This means that positive reinforcement is good for children in the classroom setting.
    I thought that this was a very well-written and knowledgeable article.  I heard once, “When you are a teacher, do not smile until Christmas.”  You have to be their disciplinarian, not their friend.  Even though I still firmly believe in getting to know your students and building relationships with each of them, you should still treat them like they are your students.  My teachers in high-school would not accept our friend request on Facebook, but as soon as we graduated, many of my teachers wanted to be my Facebook friend so that we could keep in touch.  I babysit 3 children after school.  I have rules set for the car, and for when they get home.  They know what I expect of them, and I have fun with them once they get their homework finished.  The parents have told me on multiple occasions how the children love me, but how they love me too because I am strict with them.  I explained to the parents that during school the teacher is in charge, and when they get to their house they think that is is their house so they are in charge.  They learned real quick that Ms. Madeline is in charge and means business and that in fact I have rules and expectations for them.  I learned a few things from this article that I will take with me as I go onto teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment