Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Common Core's Fundamental Trouble (Blog #4)


Another great article.  It just makes me not like the Common Core even more than I already do, which scares me.  I know that this is what I am going to be teaching by and I need to get used to it, or think about changing my profession (which isn’t going to happen.)  I had heard about the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) reform, but did not realize that is was the results from these assessments that made the U.S. aware of where our children stand in education.  The results from the once-a-year testing and assessments showed that “millions of students were not meeting existing standards.”  So why make it harder??  I believe that the NCLB program showed that pressure and testing is stressful and children buckle under pressure, so why would they want to make the test even more difficult?  The only thing that this is going to do is make more students drop-out.  I think about the ACT.  That test was torture for me.  I was so anxious and nervous about the test that I threw up the day of the test, each and every time I took it.  I finally stop taking it, because of the way that it made me feel.  I cannot imagine taking a test and knowing that I am going to fail.  And I cannot imagine giving a test, as a teacher, and knowing that 80% of my class is not going to pass it.  
This program shows no type of positive reinforcement, which a student and child needs!  Even Common Core supporter Charlotte Danielson states that, “The test items I’ve seen that have been released so far are extremely challenging.  ...That’s what I mean by train wreck.”  We need to get teachers and parents into the review panels, so that they give their opinions on the program, and work through the problems that they are seeing in the classroom and at home.  My opinion still stands, Common Core is going to be detrimental to the school system.  I hope I can soon be enlightened about some positive things this program has to offer.  

2 comments:

  1. As an aspiring teacher, I appreciate your comment on how stressful it is going to be to hand out those tests to our students. I feel that, per usual, teachers are getting left out of the Common Core equation. I also agree that teachers who are teaching under the Common Core standards need to speak up and reveal positive aspects of the program, if there are any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education is important in todays society. It is needed to continue on to college and to excel in a career. It is important to educate students, but not set them up for failure. The Common Core seems to do just that. I agree with you that the positive aspects the Common Core has to offer need to be debuted.

    ReplyDelete