Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Concept Map Caterpillars and Butterflies (Blog #10)




Caterpillars and Butterflies
W. K. 8
With guidance and support from adults, recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.


I.       Go outside and explore

We are going to go outside and observe nature. We will be looking for caterpillars, cocoons, and butterflies.  We will go back inside and learn about them! I will break the class up into four groups and give them a disposable camera. The students will take pictures of what they see. I will also bring in real butterflies for the class to observe.

Look for caterpillars
Look for cocoons
Look for butterflies

II.     Butterfly Life Cycle

Come inside and watch the video, off of Youtube, on the butterfly life cycle. Break the class up into four groups and have them act out each part like charades.

Eggs > Caterpillar > Cocoon > Butterfly

III.    Paper Plate Butterflies

Let the students design their own butterfly using a paper plate. View the blog to show them how.

Make the antennas and body out of construction paper
Decorate a paper plate and cut it in half

IV.    The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Read to the class, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Erik Carle.

Math assignment:
The very hungry caterpillar eats...
1 apple
 2 pears
 3 plums
 4 strawberries
 5 oranges
 1 piece of chocolate cake
 1 ice cream cone
 1 pickle
 1 slice of Swiss cheese
 1 slice of salami
 1 lollipop
 1 piece of cherry pie
 1 sausage
 1 cupcake
 1 slice of watermelon
 1 green le
af

Make a Graph by asking each child to put a mark by whatever fruit they like the most.

V.     Different types of butterflies

There are lots of different types of caterpillars and butterflies. Search the Internet for pictures of caterpillars. Learn about different types; poisonous vs. harmless, furry vs. smooth

Poisonous vs. Harmless
Hairy vs. Bald





19 comments:

  1. I like how your lesson involves the children going outside to do their own research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice use of your diagram on the butterfly life cycle. I like this plan because I think the kids really enjoy it while also learning about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very visually appealing concept map. I love the theme and the activities that you used for Caterpillars and Butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the map and the picture of real butterflies. Going outside and looking for caterpillars and butterflies sounds fun, but what if nobody finds any? Some of these things seem a little hard for kindergarteners, but overall the activities and lessons sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great incorporation of science, you do not often see science activities that work for such a young age. Make sure they don't break the cameras. I love how you have them act the life cycle out, it gets them very interested. LOVE how you used math in this activity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this is a great science lesson and activity. Not sure if this is for a science class, but I think that it would work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked how you had the student's go outside and explore in order for them to learn about butterflies. This lesson is very creative with so many different types of activities! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a science lesson. Giving them hands on material is a great way for them to learn and see what nature is all about. There many different kinds of butterflies will they be able learn them all?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Concept map is very colorful. Great interaction games and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute concept map! I really love that you're taking your students outside to look for butterflies and caterpillars, I loved that when I was in grammar school! You had a great combination of fun activities and educational activities where students are required to sit and work. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked your concept map. I thought it was very age appropriate. I also liked how you incorporated math into your reading lesson, as well as integrated technology and science.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The activity that you want to do where they act out the different parts of the butterfly lifecycle seems a tad too young for the level of difficulty that this lesson is at. It seems more for K-2 instead of 3-5 where I see this lesson being. That's just my opinion! However, I love the lesson and the diversity about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the life cycle on your concept map! Also it may be great to take a nature walk or something to see butterflies outside.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the kids will LOVE this! I think they will especially getting to go find the "lesson" in the "real world". I also think they will learn alot with this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you allow the students to use their imagination to be creative with the different activities you use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really, really great activity! I do not see the connection to technology, but other than that, fantastic job. Kindergarteners will love this. You did a great job on integrating more than one subject, especially connecting it with science, math, reading, and art. It is all very hands on and active. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This activity is VERY appealing to Kindergarteners. I think they will love this activity. I actually did this in Kindergarten and I will always remember that day! I dont have anything bad to say about your lesson plan!
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kindergarteners will absolutely love you for this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete